Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I have no ikea!


I have been spotting it for years now, but I never really thought about what brought this IKEA logo to the side of a parking lot in Ashrafieh... The Swedish furniture and lifestyle items manufacturer would never break even financially in Lebanon (Lebanese rarely move houses, almost never change their furniture, and the expat-flood that makes the bread and butter of the brand in the gulf is lacking here) , and yet for a number of years now someone painted the logo there (Actually, there are two of them). Where did it come from? I have no ikea!

3 comments:

Eve said...

That is so weird, I thought I was the only to notice how strange a logo like that is in a place that makes you wonder who put it there and for what reason? ....

Eve said...

Oh, and where is the second one btw? I only saw the one, mmmm, what's that street called...Emile Lahoud or Jisr El Wati???

Tarek Chemaly said...

The second is simply of the "other wall" of the parking (usually cars park there so it is difficult to see. I am not sure what the name of the street is but it is the one that leads you from Sayde Street in Achrafieh to the Lebanese University (Business faculty).