Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Jammal Trust Bank speaks our language(s) - UPDATED

All right, I am impressed here. In a major exercise of copy-based advertising (a rarity in the region these days), Jammal Trust bank who delighted us previously with a staggering corporate campaign, even if the follow up was so-so for the tacticals, seriously got its mojo back for this new campaign.
Capitalizing on their "we speak your language" selling line, the campaign is based on how the same object is referred to in 3 different ways in Lebanese dialect. OK, I admit - some work better than others (who on earth calls his house "manzil" apart from Literary Arabic and dubbed soap operas from Mexico, China or Turkey)... Ex, it would easily be replaceable by something like furniture: 3afsh, Atheth, Mobilia or Farsh (عفش اثاث موبيليا او فرش). Still, with copy-based campaigns being so far and in between, I give it top marks!

Update: Following a complaint that I have been partial in my assessment of this campaign, please find HERE a link to the HSBC campaign that Zein said that the above Jammal Trust Bank is based on. I still think the campaign is exceptional copy wise, but I shall leave it to your discretion to say if the above is a replica of HSBC even if personally (despite thinking of the reference), I (still) think it is not.

4 comments:

Miled I. said...

منحكي لهجتك ... مش لغتك

Zein said...

When i read the site judgement on the ad above, i realized more and more how much they are shallow, they are easy been influenced with what they see without any guilt, "we speak your language" concept is the same concept of "your local Bank" the famous, successful HSBC campaign. The execution of the British bank had same angles sometimes under the plate form of "you might have different meaning for the same item in different cultures"....... So again and again and again the advertisers might be friends or supporters for the site owners, but the credibility of the site is no more super bright......Shame

Tarek Chemaly said...

I admit, the HSBC link did hit me for a while, and I was about to include the reference, but I still thought this campaign was born from "we speak your language" which is their selling line. And it IS consistent with their earlier work (at least the corporate campaign). But yes, I do understand similarities between this and HSBC.
However, would you kindly explain to me the last sentence? "So again and again and again the advertisers might be friends or supporters for the site owners, but the credibility of the site is no more super bright......Shame"

Tarek Chemaly said...

OK, so you are suggesting I am in bed so speak with the agency that did this ad. Which is Drive Dentsu. Before you accuse me of being partial to them and that they are my friends or supporters, maybe you should know that I have had - early in my advertising career - a HUGE problem with Drive Dentsu (yes, one that made me leave one country to another in 4 days) and so if antything, I'm certainly not their friend nor are they my supporters. In addition, I still say that copywriting wise this campaign is very very good. I understand you might find a similarity with HSBC but from there to say I am giving positive reviews to supporters and friends is a bit overdoing it. Though I do appreciate your comment.