Tuesday, June 18, 2013

#theyarealljeanassy (But I am NOT).

Jesus, another day another drama. So Jean Assy got arrested for insulting the president through Twitter. First, to all those who are saying "I disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - that's NOT Voltaire who said that, it's Evelyn Beatrice Hall summing up Voltaire's philosophy (so please, no quick pop psychology).
Yes, I admit, back in the day of Emile Lahoud in his second coming, Members of the Parliament and ministers were bashing him publicly left and right - did they go to prison as Jean Assy did? No. Should they have? Probably (I am sure there is a law for that somewhere). So - am I against Jean? No, not as an individual and I sincerely think he should be released.
So what am I saying? MPs and ministers know how to play the power game, Jean does not. And by doing so, by using Twitter as a jump board to release his tweet, he has endangered all such platforms. Because by using them recklessly - sorry, even stupidly - without any reservation or common sense Jean has shone the light (once more) on these dissidence platforms which are mostly out of sight and where people can still express opinions smartly, and discuss, and agree (or agree to disagree).
By proving that (Turkey's prime minister) Recep Tayyip Erdogan was right saying that Twitter is dangerous (albeit perversely so), Jean Assy has just ruined it for all of us.... Jean - drink moderately and tweet responsibly.
I hope you get out soon - but for the love of God, someone make sure he doesn't get to his Twitter feed any time soon.

No comments: