Friday, October 15, 2010

Everyday miracles


An well, so all of have reasons to moan and groan in our everyday lives. Elsewhere you can read in boring details about the rescue operations of the Chilean miners (media outlets these days tend to make everything "sensational" so eventually nothing remains interesting). But for me, the event was very close to another one, the one about the Uruguyan rugby team whose flight crashed in the Andes. Actually, I was so happy to have been proven right when I read about how the Urguayan survivors actually met with the kin of the trapped Chilean miners. But in this increasingly mediatized world, it is not an atonishement that Mario Sepulveda, one of the trapped miners, delivered the signature quote: "I was with God and with the devil, and God took me" (one can see the title of the forthcoming book already).
The Andes survivors, I suppose, were more modest by comaprison, because the major saying then was Nandon Parrado's: "I come from a plane that fell in the mountains." (in a note delivered to an Peruvian peasant).
Here's my own two bits, a small email after I sent an inquiry to one of the survivors: "Thanks for your email and for your nice words, you enter http://www.antoniovizintin.com/ and you have information you could use. My best wishes Tintin" - it's not much I know. But I have archived this mail in my gmail inbox.
So we all have reasons to moan and groan in our lives. But, well, that was a nice miracle to come our way.

1 comment:

Salem said...

Funny how each person relates differently to the same story. I often remember the Chilean miners, the Andes survivors and even Jon Krakauer's elegant description of survival ordeals between Saifi and Sahel Alma everyday.
To each his/her own i say...