Saturday, November 23, 2013

Rymco: Big mistake. Big. Huge!

Rymco (the authorized dealer of Nissan in Lebanon) just made a blunder of epic proportions. Patrick Chemali gave a harsh criticism of their new Juke ad. At this stage, it is beyond the pale for me to even review the ad because when Patrick made his opinion known on twitter, the reply from @rymco which appears to be managed by a 9-year old with a cell phone was nothing short of disastrous. In plain, simple, short and oh-so-bad words they (among other things which became personal in the end such as "you forgot to tag your daddy") told Patrick "actually we don't care about your opinion".
The slogan of the new Juke is "don't funk with the juke"... Oh my! They just funked supremely. The word "shift" in Arabic means "I saw" or when put in a question "did you see"... Well, "Nissan_shift what a disaster they have done?" I always go back to that scene in Pretty Woman:
Shop assistant: Hello, can I help you?
Vivian: I was in here yesterday, you wouldn't wait on me.
Shop assistant: Oh.
Vivian: You people work on commission, right?
Shop assistant: Yeah.
Vivian: Big mistake. Big. Huge. I have to go shopping now.

PS: It transpired that "you forgot to tag your daddy" remark was even MORE hurtful considering Patrick's father has passed away. May he rest in peace Patrick. Sorry he was dragged into this so shamelessly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are happy about their ads while they really suck and they barely crossed 7000 views on youtube.
They are so boring and flat that Bloggers didn't even mention their ads.

I wonder which agency worked on these flops...

Unknown said...

Whats the big deal about! I guess it was orginal and they created some sort of publicity ....personally never seen the ad before up until the bloggers created this fuss!!! Smart move Nissas!!! I dnt think their sales will go down as big purchasing decision will not be influenced by such tweets!!! So bloggers hold ur horses!!! And check the link below and see how big brands here in the UK went as original as Rymco
http://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/this-how-every-single-company-should-interact-with-their-cus

Tarek Chemaly said...

1) Try as you might to make this an orchestrated move (or "staged") by Nissan - it was not. Some 10 year old imbecile was handling the account obviously.
2) Not all advertising is good advertising. Rymco has lost several customers in the process.
3) In case you did not notice, I did not link to the original ad simply in order NOT to promote it (other bloggers chose to do different, it is their right) and to focus on the FUNK UP Rymco did.
4) I do not have delusions of grandeur of turning sales numbers because of this, but to have a company scrambling in crisis mode on a Saturday, trying to limit the damages of their disaster is something I like.
5) From now on every time anyone googles Rymco they will fall on the blog posts written. Not bad of a idea if you ask me.