Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Nescafe steals from Soapkills

"Min yawm ma cheftak, chifti 3a cheftak" - brilliant, genius, wonderful. Ok, and stolen too. Blatantly stolen.
Let's first explain the gimmick - "cheftak" means both "I saw you" and "your lip" - so the meaning is "from the day I "cheftak" (saw you), my lip is on "cheftak" (your lip)".
Which is the exact same lyric from the song Cheftak by Soapkills credited to Walid Sadek, Rabih Mroue and Soapkills - Yasmine Hamdan and Zeid Hamdan (Yasmine is now known as Y.A.S. and Zeid has gone to become Zeid and the Wings). The lyrics specifically are: Cheftak 3a chefta, cheftak kachaftak ("Cheftak" (your lip) on her lip, "Cheftak" (I saw you) I unmasked you).
So to recap:
 "From the day I "cheftak" (saw you), my lip is on "cheftak" (your lip)". (Nescafe)
"Cheftak" (your lip) on her lip, "Cheftak" (I saw you) I unmasked you." (Soapkills)
Now please tell me I am not seeing double here!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was one of the most confusing blog posts my eye have tried to read and failed to understand... come again?

Tarek Chemaly said...

It means that "Nescafe steals from Soapkills".

Anonymous said...

Her name is Yasmine Hamdan. Not Yasmina.
Please correct. Thank you for spreading the info though.

Tarek Chemaly said...

Ok, correction done - but why did you comment anonymously?