Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Al watan is a whore lecturing on chastity

Image source: Al Watan newspaper

Remember my post "the right to ridicule religions. All religions."? I still stand by every word in it. But I am officially upset. Upon the visit of Maronite Patriarch Mar Bechara el Rahi to Syria Al Watan newspaper, which hails from the biggest democracy of them all Saudi Arabia, published the above caricature which implies "bachar-a al rahi" as a twist on words on his name as amalgamed with Syrian president Bachar Al Assad, the Patriarch's hat morphs into a missile as well. Sure, I am all for freedom of speech, but hey, let's not let Al Watan be a whore lecturing on chastity, I mean surely, there must be some religious leader worthy of caricature in Saudi Arabia, right? Let them begin with their own turf, one which is filled with corruption, hypocrisy and double standards. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish they were as brave when it comes to mocking their muftis. Hypocrites.