Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bill Drummond on the Lebanese: A million quids for your thoughts


Image credit: The Seven Streets

Now I am positively sad! It seems Bill Drummond - the very controversial man who fronted KLF has been in Lebanon as part of his cake baking activities which he defines as such in today's guardian, and I was not able to get my part of the cake! The good news is what he says about Lebanese hopistality (emphasis is mine):
"I have been constructing cake circles for more than 10 years now. What you do is take a map, draw a circle on the map. The centre of the circle has to be somewhere that you can bake cakes. Each cake you bake there, you then take to the edge of the circle, knock on a door; when it is answered you say: "I have baked you a cake, here it is." Now most people might love the idea of someone baking them a cake, but when you have this strange man standing in your doorway trying to give you a cake, you will undoubtedly have a lot of things going through your head. It may be all cosy in the Guardian offices when you are baking each other cakes, but out there in Bootle or the Dingle, as in when I was constructing the Liverpool Cake Circle last autumn, it can get quite confrontational.
That said, there have been parts of the world where I have constructed a cake circle and every door you knock on they invite you in for a meal and they get their neighbours in to meet you as well. Based on my experience, I would say that the Lebanese are the most friendly and welcoming people in the world."
Mind you, this is the man who burned one million quids in the UK challenging audiences to find a meaning in the act!

No comments: