Thursday, September 29, 2011

Rana Salam - the "grande dame" of Arabic pop









I should have blogged about this a long time ago (back when I met Rana Salam face to face at a conference). I really do not know where to begin praising her! Is it the one-of-a-kind handmade brooches with Oum Koulthoum? Or her coussins inspired from Arabic movie posters or street numbers? Could it be the furniture she did by commission from Nada Debs (the floating stools)? The covers for the guardian space she signed? The breathtaking inside of the soon-to-open "Comptoir" in London? The V&A invites she did form the opening of the Jameel Hall? Those kistchier than kisch vitrines for Harvey Nichols? The tasteful design for the publication accompanying the exihibition on Egyptian movie posters? The list goes on and on indefinately. If I were you I'd check her website and her online shop as quickly as I can.

No comments: