Sunday, May 29, 2011

Our man in... Havana.

Here are a couple of quotes from the novel by Graham Greene. I identified myself in both - not that I was ever a designer for plastic soapboxes (but I did write advertising slogans). As for the second, well, those who know me personally might read it under the intended light...

There are lots of other jobs that aren't real. Designing a new plastic soapbox, making pokerwork jokes for public houses, writing advertising slogans, being an M.P., talking to UNESCO conferences. But the money's
real. What happens after work is real. – Graham Greene
"They can print statistics and count the population is hundreds of thousands, but to each man a city consists of nothing more than a few streets, a few houses, a few people. Remove those few and a city exists no longer except as a pain in the memory, like the pain of an amputated leg no longer there." Graham Greene

No comments: