Saturday, November 6, 2010

8 years and counting - Ziggydoodle and her pink wedding dress - NOV 7

This is in from Zena el Khalil..... With Beirut International Marathon tomorrow, it seemed timely to publish it:
Dear Friends and Family,
Ziggydoodle is back with her pink dress!!
As some of you are aware, every year, since my mom started the Beirut International Marathon, I run the 10 km fun run... in a big pink wedding dress!
I started with this artistic intervention in 2003 to question the role of women and marriage in our society. What expectations do women have? How do we cope with not having civil marriage in our country? I tried to break stereotypes and shake things up! After the 2006 war, I decided that the pink dress should also spread a loving message, and so I began running for peace and love! In 2007 and 2008, I ran in honor of my beautiful best friend Maya, whom we unfairly lost to cancer...
It has been challenging at times, but with the desire to spread positive ideas, I am committed more than ever to keep running! I am happy to announce that this year, I will be running for Animals Lebanon... and I want YOU to be part of it too!
Animals Lebanon a Lebanese NGO that are working tirelessly on the protection of animals through direct action, rescues, and a firm legislative process with the Lebanese government. Today in our nation, no laws exist which protect our animals - stray dogs are openly shot on the streets, endangered species traded in the markets, and zoos operate with no regulation leaving the animals within it to suffer in abhorrent conditions until their death.
Animals Lebanon is the first NGO making a significant difference in this field by drafting a full set of laws to protect Lebanon's animals and are working closely with the Lebanese authorities to get the laws passed.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

What an incredible woman. I read her book..I loved it. You find the most amazing things, keep up the great work!

Tarek Chemaly said...

I guess it is the most amazing things that keep finding me!

Herry Johnson said...

Noivaslb provide the great and best quality in wedding dresses lebanon, wedding dresses Beirut, and wedding gowns lebanon, bridal dresses lebanon, bridal shop Lebanon and Lebanon wedding dress buy wedding dress.